Monday, November 7, 2011

What I learned about Deaf Education

I am not an expert on Deaf Education.  In fact, I do not teach any deaf children, nor do I know any adults who are deaf.  However, I was so blown away by Serena Johnson's presentation on deaf education tonight in class, that I felt it important to share a few nuggets of information that she shared.

1)  Deaf people are usually not COMPLETELY deaf.  That is, they can still hear sounds, but they can't differentiate the sounds.  Watch the video below to hear what hearing loss sounds like.





2.  Apparently, the average graduating high school deaf person only has a reading level of fourth or fifth grade.  More research is necessary in this field.  This is a gap in education, because there is a small community of people affected by this issue. 

3.  Deaf education has historically followed the trends of hearing people's view of education.  However, this group has different needs, so, perhaps there needs to be an entire field dedicated to the research and development of reading education for people with hearing loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment